Strategically located near a wide variety of slaughterhouse facilities, VAMPIRE can meet your high-volume serum and plasma needs quickly and efficiently. Our experienced technicians have extensive training in the collection and processing of whole blood from the slaughterhouse to ensure high-quality material. Slaughterhouse blood is drawn from normal healthy animals that have passed ante-mortem inspection by the USDA (where applicable). Please see our product list below or contact Customer Service for more information.
- Numerous anticoagulant options for plasma collection.
- Multiple processing options for whey products.
- Bulk quantities/large-scale manufacturing available
- Ready for export: VAMPIRE facilities have APHIS registrations to export most products to the EU
The serum is manufactured from slaughterhouse whole blood collected in a bottle without anticoagulant. This material is allowed to coagulate. The blood is then centrifuged to remove the clot, red blood cells, and buffy coat, and then frozen. The product is tested for pH and total protein (by refractometer). Available as “unfiltered” (as described above) or “filtered”. The filtrate is passed through a 0.2 µm membrane and subjected to a 48-hour microbial content screening process prior to shipment.
Slaughterhouse whey processing options:
- Delipidation: Silica is added to the serum, which binds to lipids, which are then removed by centrifugation. Suggested in certain species such as mice or pigs, where the serum is innately cloudy.
- Heat Inactivation: The serum is heated to 56 ° C for 30 minutes, then immediately placed in an ice bath to avoid overheating. Then the serum is centrifuged to remove the precipitates. The intention is to inactivate the complement and/or destroy the mycoplasma.
- Carbon Removal: Activated carbon is added to the serum, which binds to non-polar molecules such as lipids and hormones. The charcoal is then removed by centrifugation and passed through a 0.2 µm filter to clarify it. Suggested for research where lipids or hormones may interfere with the results of an assay.
Plasma is made from the whole blood of slaughter animals collected in a bottle containing a specific anticoagulant. The blood is then centrifuged to remove the red blood cells and buffy coat, then frozen the same day of collection. The product is tested for pH and total protein (by refractometer). Available as “unfiltered” (as described above) or “filtered”. The filtrate is passed through a 0.2 µm membrane and subjected to a 48-hour microbial content screening process prior to shipment. It is recommended to aliquot this product into single-use volumes, as multiple freeze-thaw cycles may affect product performance.
- Acid citrate dextrose (ACD / ACD-A)
- Phosphate dextrose citrate (CPD)
- Citrate Phosphate Dextrose Adenine-1 (CPDA-1)
- Sodium citrate
- Lithium heparin
- Sodium heparin
- Potassium oxalate
- Potassium oxalate + sodium fluoride
- Sodium fluoride
Other custom anticoagulants available, consult
- Medical equipment/device testing
- Diagnostic and analysis research
- Hematology and coagulation controls
- ELISA, immunoprecipitation, and Western Blot
- Available species:
- Other species may be available, consult
Plasma and serum products are shipped frozen on dry ice unless otherwise specified.